Thursday, September 26, 2013

Response 1 to Class Discussion: Newspapers

I do believe that newspapers are very important to keep around. I think that the fact that they are diverse in content, affordable, and physical, are the main reasons why they are still around today. My aunt and grandmother used to have a newspaper delivery route. Throughout the week, the papers had thinner sections, so they were able to assemble them during the route. However, since the Sunday paper had thick sections, along with ads, the newspapers had to be put together at the building they are shipped to. My aunt and grandmother were unable to do so because of the heat and the hard labor, so my parents, three siblings, and I would go up to the place we called, "the hub" every Saturday at noon, to assemble the papers. We had to stack the different sections together, then roll up the papers, and bag them. After bagging the newspapers, we had to compile them into carts so they could be loaded into my aunt's van the next morning. Because of that job that I had to do for at least 3 years, I have come across many different versions of the newspaper. Every week, the articles were new, but they still had important stories in them, along with the entertaining sections. Newspapers are one of the only mass mediums that have something for everyone. Not only that, but they are easy to pick up and take anywhere-- you can't do that with a television!

No comments:

Post a Comment